Monday, December 15, 2014

Jesus is the Bread of Life on the 16th Day of Advent

"For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heave and gives life to the world...I am the Bread of Life.  Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:33, 35

I bet when I first read these verses a few years ago, I wouldn't have any idea the imagery that Jesus is using here.  I would be like how can bread come down from heaven?  But now, having read some more of the Bible, I have background knowledge to appreciate this beautiful image.  Jesus came down from Heaven so we may have life!

That was the purpose of that very first Christmas Night when Jesus was born.  Now He is saying that if we go to Him we may also have life.  Just like drinking up Jesus as the Living Water, if we nourish ourselves with Jesus as the Bread of Life we will never go hungry.  Our bodies can survive a few days without food but eventually we would starve and die.  

The same why it is for our souls.  However, our souls are starved much longer than a few days.  If we deprive our souls of Jesus for our lifetime then we do die spiritually and physically.  That's a terrifying thought!  I want to feed my soul with the Living Water and Bread of Life, daily just like I feed my body with the nutrients it needs to function.  

When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness by the Devil and He was hungry, the Devil told Him to turn the stones into bread.  Then Jesus replies with "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).  Since Jesus is The Word, we can feed on Him to nourish us.  Jesus is all we need because He can feed us in ways that we can't do on our own.

Are you feeding on Jesus and drinking in the Words of God?  Can you set aside time each day to read your Bible and rest in the God's presence?  Will you start to change your spiritual diet and be as spirit health conscience as you are body health conscience? 

With His Love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment