Sunday, November 30, 2014

Advent Day 1: Jesus is The Word

 
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.....The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us."
John 1:1,14a

What does Advent mean to you? I have been thinking about this question the last couple of days.  If I was to give a definition I would say that is it the beginning of the Christmas Season, celebrating the Jesus' birth and His coming to Earth.  That's an okay definition I think but what does it really mean.  I tried to do some research on the internet but was not satisfied with the answer.   This morning my pastor gave a short definition that has stuck with me through the five minutes of research ha.  She said (as best as I can remember) that Advent was the season of preparation for Christ's coming and the hope that we have in Him.

This is a solid definition but now how can we prepare to celebrate Jesus' birth?  This year, every day of Advent, I am going to write a short devotional about a name of Jesus.  Please join me on this journey of discovering a deeper understanding of Jesus' role here on Earth.  All of the names I drew from the Bible and each day will come with a scripture.  Sign up on the right with your email to receive each day's devotion right in your mailbox!

The first name of Jesus I chose was the Word.  I never really understood this name until I starting to study Genesis and Exodus closer.  

"And God said"
Genesis 1:3a
 
God spoke and there was light, earth, the whole universe as we know it! Wow His Words must be powerful! He also keeps His covenants or promises, therefore His Word are always true.  Now if we think about Jesus, He was powerful and the Word He spoke were always true.  He resisted the Devil's temptations with scripture---God's Word (Matthew 4).  Jesus was also the Flesh version of God.  John says the "Word became Flesh".  God became Man--Jesus! 

Jesus' life here on Earth is an example for us to live and strive for.  He was living out God's Word by the actions of His life.  Jesus was the Word because He was the message from God.  Therefore, this Christmas season as your stress levels rise, please be careful of the words that come out of your mouth or stick in your brain.  Human words are powerful, but God's Words can heal.  So when you are angry, open your bible and read the Love Letter God has written to you and remember Jesus is the Word. 

With His Love,
A

P.S. This reminder is really for me :D I need to hold back my tongue and only let words of life flow from my mouth


No comments:

Post a Comment