Tuesday, December 13, 2016

17th Day of Advent: Jesus is our Rock

 
"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Psalm 18:2
It's strange to think of Jesus as a rock.  An extraordinary God is an ordinary object?  We need to look at Rock in context of the Bible.  David, the author of Psalm 18, is proclaiming that God is the Rock and his stronghold.  Then I love what Jesus says in Matthew 7:24 concluding His Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).  He says that we must build our houses on rock.  He then goes on to explain in Matthew 7:25-27, that if you didn't build your house on rock or a solid foundation then it would get washed away when rain came.

THIS IS A KEY POINT!!! If we do not build our lives on Jesus the Rock, then all sanity will wash away when trouble comes.  Notice I used when and not if.  Jesus says in John 16:33b--"In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world." So we can be assured that if we build our lives with Jesus as the Rock foundation, then they will not crumble or fall apart troubles arise.  Jesus is the stronghold and we can take refuge in the Rock.

Who is your Rock?  Do you build the foundation of your life on the ever-true and everlasting Rock of Jesus or something temporary?  What words will you use to praise Him as the Rock on which you can stand firmly? 

In His Love,
A
 

No comments:

Post a Comment