Saturday, December 10, 2016

14th Day of Advent: Jesus the Carpenter

Image result for jesus as carpenter 

"Isn't this the carpenter?  Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon?..."
Mark 6:3a 

Jesus was 30 years old when He was called to His ministry.  He spent 30 years on Earth as a carpenter.  A few year ago, I visited my friend's church and the pastor said a comment that spoke to my heart.  She said that Jesus probably made the most beautiful woodworks.  Image that, the Creator of the world as a carpenter.  I immediately began to envision Jesus' hands running smoothly over the wood, perfecting it to beauty.  Just think, the hands that created you, created so many works, made wooden objects for 30 years, then were pierced and hung on wood.  Jesus waited 30 years so why am I complaining that I'm 26 and still waiting?  I still have four more years on Jesus.  In this culture of immediate gratification, I want the results of my hardwork right now.  I don't want to wait another year for a permanent job, I want God to send me out this minute to work.  What if I'm not ready? Perhaps God knows something that I don't.  Maybe He wants to change me.  Why doesn't this ever cross my mind?

Ephesians 2:10 tells us that God has specific work He has planned out for us.  How are you waiting on His timing?  Jesus did an ordinary job for 30 years before He went out to officially minister, although that doesn't mean He didn't glorify God in His work or use it as a platform.  Let's just stop for a minute and ponder on the beautiful truth that Jesus came down and lived a real human life and performed monotonous jobs just like us.  How can you use the ordinary to glorify the Extraordinary God we serve?

In His Love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment