Monday, July 7, 2014

Twenty-Something: Broken Pieces


This past week, I spent at the beach with my mom, sister and dog, Layla.  It was a wonderful vacation to relax and enjoy some soulful rest.  The weather was gorgeous so we went to the beach everyday!  One of my favorite activities is to walk along the surf collecting shells.  I have had a fascination with shells since I was a little girl.  I would spend hours in the surf looking for beautiful shells to show off.  So as I was doing this one of the morning, God whispered some truths to me.  



I am always picking up shells and throwing out the ones that are broken and not pretty.  There are however those few that are broken but still hold some value because if they were whole, they would be amazing.  The Lord showed me that maybe this is how I view the broken pieces and parts of my life.  I am constantly searching for that whole part of me.  I only want to accept myself if I'm whole, but God says something different!  He wants to accept me just as I am, right now, this way: broken!!!!  He wants to use all those broken pieces, broken by the waves of life, to make a beautiful plan for me!  It's true for you too.

After David, commits adultery and kills a man he cries out to The Lord:

"My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise."
Psalm 51:17

He knew that he was broken but that's all he could offer to God but he also knew that God would accept him!  Isn't that wonderful news.  God accepts the broken pieces of our lives just as we are.  

Then I got to thinking about the broken pieces that I have been holding onto that are not serving any purpose.  Maybe I need to let go of those to make room for pieces of me that God desires for His plan.  Therefore I challenge you too to look at your heart and examine the pieces.  Are there parts you are clinging to but shouldn't be? Do you feel like it would be too hard to let go? Go to God! Ask Him to help you determine which pieces you need.  Just a like a puzzle, there are only the ones that belong to make the larger picture.

Lastly I want to leave you with this image.  It's wonderful being here on this Earth that God created for us to inhabit because He reveals Himself many different ways and places.  That day I saw His Hand at work in the bay: His calm but powerful nature able to transform landscapes and hearts while whispering calmness and rest.  You don't need to vacation to the beach to see God.  Where do you see Him around you?  Leave a comment, I want to know! 

Some of these thoughts about brokenness were also influenced by a book I just read: Finding Spiritual Whitespace.  If you click on the link, it will take you to my review of it!

With Love,
A

p.s. I'm going to challenge myself this week to write a post every day! I have had a few in the works that I never finished and I'm finally ready to get them all out there.  Come back at least for Friday for an exciting announcement ;) 

p.p.s here are some extra pictures from the trip!

Layla stole my chair!
My mom and I rocking the baseball hats!

The three musketeers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment