Monday, December 11, 2017

9th Day of Advent: Jesus is the Bread of Life


"For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heave and gives life to the world...I am the Bread of Life.  Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:33, 35

Yesterday we explored Jesus as the Living Water-the One who can quench our thirst.  Today we will see Jesus gives us sustenance or nourishment as the Bread of Life.

Jesus sustains our life because we have eternal life because of Him!! The Word of God is alive and feeds us when we read the Bible.  How is your soul being feed by Jesus?  Do you rely on Him to fill you instead of food?  I've been trying really hard lately to break my idolatry of food and remind myself that "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).   

Just like drinking up Jesus as the Living Water, if we nourish ourselves with Jesus as the Bread of Life our souls will never go hungry or long for worldly things that don't satisfy.  Our bodies can survive a few days without food but eventually we would starve and die.  The same is for our souls.  However, our souls are starved much longer than a few days.  If we deprive our souls of Jesus for our lifetime then we do die spiritually and physically.  That's a terrifying thought!  I want to feed my soul with the Living Water and Bread of Life, daily just like I feed my body with the nutrients it needs to function. 

Are you feeding on Jesus and drinking in the Words of God?  If not, will you ask for the desire to fill yourself with Him--He delights to answer those prayers!!

In His Love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment