Friday, May 22, 2015

Twenty-Something Chronicles: Loneliness



Loneliness.  I feel like it's a taboo word in today's society.  Why should we feel lonely?  We have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, email, text, calling, FaceTime, Skype, and many more avenues to connect with people.  Also loneliness doesn't have anything to do with relationship status.  I'm not feeling lonely because I am single and the solution won't be to date.  I'm sure everyone at all walks of life have felt lonely no matter how many people surround them.

I think loneliness stems from trying to fill a God-sized hole in our hearts with anything and everything.  I once belonged to the Devil.  Maybe you have too.  I tried to fill that hole in my heart with friends, boys, partying, anything to stop the lonely feelings.  None of them worked.  Only when I truly gave my life to God, did that hole begin to fill.  

I realized that I am not alone and that there is a reason why I have felt so different my whole life.  The truth was that God had set me apart for His work from the moment I took my first breath here on Earth.  He has been waiting for me to ask Him into my life.  Since the moment I did, more than five years ago, my life has completely changed and I love it.  However, sometimes I can't shake off the feelings of loneliness.  

The root of those feelings are still the same.  I am trying to fill the cracks in my heart with humans but there is only One who will fit.  Just because I now follow Jesus, won't mean that I will instantly feel loved all the time.  Feelings are part of our finicky flesh, they can change like the wind. I need to root my trust and contentment on my Lord and Savior.  I need to go to Him when I have these feelings so that I can deal with them and replace them with Words to nourish my soul.  The Spirit lives inside of us, we don't need to go far to reach God!! Isn't that so amazing.  We have a built-in best friend right inside of our hearts when we let the Spirit take up residence.  

So I will feel content in the season of life that God has me in.  I am here for a reason.  I can cultivate the relationships that I have already established and wait on His good timing to bring others into my life.  God gives us a choice: to fill our hearts with the garbage and unsatisfactory material things of this world or to fill it with The Holy Spirit.  If you aren't sure how to fill it with the Holy Spirit or have questions, go to God in prayer and ask!!

In His Love,
A


No comments:

Post a Comment